Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Rest & Relaxation

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were much appreciated during our stay in the mountains.  Breakfast was usually coffee and buns.  The coffee was good and REALLY sweet, which made for a good wake up call.  We shared our peanut butter and jelly for the bread.  I usually grabbed a Clif bar before starting work.  Lunch was either corn meal and a Cajun-type sauce or spaghetti with ketchup, mayo, and onion.  We shared your summer sausage and dried fruit during these meals.  Dinner was rice and beans.  Sometimes I used a tuna packet with meals as well as some horseradish mustard to mix up the routine.  For such simple food, the meals were always really good and filling.

At night everyone would hang out and chat for a while.  Then, before dinner could settle in our bellies the Haitians brought out the dominoes.  They loved playing dominoes and I tried my best to join them.  We played in teams and passive communication between teammates was critical.  I didn't pick it up very well, though it was fun to watch the Haitians play.

We finished on Thursday afternoon and were able to get our bags and tools out in time to be picked up.  We went back to the FHM guesthouse.  A cold shower was definitely in order by now.  After dinner I didn't last long because I was so exhausted.

Friday turned into a rest day.  Mike picked us up and we went to the beach where we hung out for half the day and ate lunch.  I also picked up a few trinkets from the locals.  Having this extra day to relax was very nice bonus.







No comments:

Post a Comment